‘Cow bill of rights’ guides dairy farm in Flathead
The Hedstrom family have got it right.
They run the only surviving dairy in the Flathead Valley and as they told writer and photographer Jessica Lowry, their mission is to produce great dairy products using very happy cows.
Lowry featured the family in a story for the March/April issue. The Kalispell Kreamery makes a range of products and is slowly expanding its reach as people discover the quality of it products.
Did I mention they take great care of the their cows?
Here’s the cow “Bill of Rights” the Kalispell Kreamery lives by:
Cows are the reason for the business. We sell the milk so we can keep the cows.
Hedstrom dairy believes in the humane care of their cows and realizes that in order to get the highest quality production and longevity from its prized milk cows they must be treated with a high level of respect and as a partner in the operation. We believe in and have instituted the following “Bill of Rights” on our place.
- Animals should have the freedom from thirst at all times.
- Animals should have freedom from injury and disease.
- Animals should have freedom from hunger at all times.
- Animals should have freedom from unnecessary fear and distress
- Animals should have freedom to express a majority of their normal behavioral repertoire.
- Animals should have room to move around freely.
Here’s a list of Kalispell Kreamery retailers.